ROME (AP) — Sergio Zanotti, an Italian businessman who was kidnapped in Syria three years ago, has been released.
The office of Italy’s Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said Friday that Zanotti is “in good general condition and will be repatriated to Rome in a few hours.”
According to media reports, Zanotti, a businessman from the Italian northern city of Brescia, had been kidnapped in Syria in April 2016 by armed groups linked to al-Qaeda. The prime minister’s statement said “at the end of a complex and delicate activity of intelligence, investigation and diplomacy … today we succeeded in obtaining the release of Sergio Zanotti.”
Advertisement - story continues below
Seven months after his kidnapping, Zanotti appeared in a video asking the Italian government to intervene to make sure he was not slain.
The Western Journal has not reviewed this Associated Press story prior to publication. Therefore, it may contain editorial bias or may in some other way not meet our normal editorial standards. It is provided to our readers as a service from The Western Journal.
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.