ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton’s administration has appealed a state regulatory panel’s approval of Enbridge Energy’s plan to replace its aging Line 3 oil pipeline across northern Minnesota.
The Minnesota Department of Commerce said Friday that the Public Utilities Commission ignored experts who said the project isn’t needed.
Dayton says in a statement that Enbridge failed to provide a forecast for future demand, as state law requires, and to demonstrate that Minnesota needs the pipeline to meet its oil needs. He says most of the crude flowing across Minnesota would benefit other states and countries.
Enbridge spokeswoman Judi Kellner says Dayton’s statement is “disappointing and erroneous.” She says Canada-based Enbridge provided multiple forecasts showing that a replacement is needed.
Other Line 3 opponents appealed earlier this week.
The Western Journal has not reviewed this Associated Press story prior to publication. Therefore, it may contain editorial bias or may in some other way not meet our normal editorial standards. It is provided to our readers as a service from The Western Journal.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.