MADRID (AP) — The Latest on last month’s assault at the North Korean Embassy in Madrid (all times local):
A U.S. State Department spokesman says that the government had nothing to do with last month’s assault on the North Korean Embassy in Madrid.
Spain has issued two international arrest warrants for members of a self-proclaimed human rights group that allegedly led a mysterious attack on the North Korean Embassy on Feb. 22 before offering data stolen during the raid to the FBI.
When asked if Washington had anything to do with the raid, U.S. State Department spokesman Robert Palladino said “the United States government had nothing to do with this.”
He also said that “regarding the specifics of what’s going on, the Spanish authorities are investigating. The investigation is still underway. For any details on their investigation, I would have to refer you to Spanish authorities.”
A Spanish court has accused an American, Mexican and South Korean of an attack on the North Korean Embassy in February, saying the FBI was offered stolen data.
National Court judge Jose de la Mata on Tuesday lifted a secrecy order, announcing it had found evidence of various crimes, including trespassing, injuries, threats and burglary committed by “a criminal organization.”
The investigating magistrate named Adrian Hong Chang, a Mexican national and resident in the United States, as the leader of a gang of 10 people who escaped in broad daylight on Feb. 22 after stealing computers and documents from the embassy, where they shackled and gagged its staff.
The judge says Hong Chang escaped Spanish authorities and flew to the U.S., where he got in touch with the FBI.
The Western Journal has not reviewed this Associated Press story prior to publication. Therefore, it may contain editorial bias or may in some other way not meet our normal editorial standards. It is provided to our readers as a service from The Western Journal.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.