Three Americans who died under mysterious circumstances at a Bahamas resort died due to carbon monoxide poisoning, according to a new report.
Michael Phillips, 68, and his wife, Robbie Phillips, 65, of Tennessee and Vincent Chiarella, 64, of Florida were found dead in their villas at the Sandals Emerald Bay resort on May 6. Donnis Chiarella, Vicent’s wife, was found ill but alive.
Autopsy and toxicology reports have been completed, according to the Nassau Guardian.
The medical examiner ruled that all three died of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the New York Post. No further information was released.
Carbon Monoxide poisoning usually points to a combustion source, often (mostly) an internal combustion motor or engine. In separate, free-standing villas in warm climates, not likely a heating source. Was this due to an on-site electric generator ???https://t.co/KbIhHjwhMw
— WMEdelmann (@WMEdelmann) May 23, 2022
Leaks from the air conditioning and the water heater have been investigated for possible links to the deaths of the tourists.
The families of the dead tourists have demanded a second autopsy, the country’s Minister of Health and Wellness has said.
“There’s still some investigations ongoing at the Sandals resort. We also have the pathologists in-country who have done their job and samples were sent to a very reliable lab in the United States,” Dr. Michael Darville said.
None of the dead showed signs of trauma, and foul play has never been suspected in the deaths.
Do we really not have the technology to add smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to our smart phones?? Come on! https://t.co/5orvrlxvKy Bahamas Sandals deaths: Carbon monoxide poisoning killed 3 Americans at resort, report says
— Amie Leigh (@amieleigh76) May 23, 2022
He has said his mother, Donnis, “woke up, and my dad was laying there on the floor, and she couldn’t move.”
“Her legs and arms was swollen, and she couldn’t move, and she screamed to get someone to come in the door,” he said.
Donnis Chiarella had felt ill the night before the incident, then “thought she was alright” after visiting a clinic, he said.
Carbon monoxide caused deaths of three Americans at Bahamas Sandals resort https://t.co/wBlaao1d9e
— The Independent (@Independent) May 24, 2022
“They were all treated at different times, and they ate at different places,” Rolle said.
Donnis Chiarella has since been discharged from HCA Florida Kendall Hospital in Miami, according to Fox News.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.