A mother in Ontario is warning parents about the dangers of bathroom cleaning products in public schools after her son was severely burned after sitting on a toilet seat.
According to CTV News, the 7-year-old boy missed two weeks of school and was unable to wear pants for 11 days.
The incident took place on March 31 at Stewart Avenue Public School in Cambridge, Ontario, after the boy used the bathroom. What started as a mild irritation like sunburn quickly turned into a rash that was oozing and bubbling.
“It had progressed to a second-degree burn,” the boy’s mother said.
“The first couple days were really, really, really bad,” added the mother, who chose to remain anonymous. “He couldn’t go to the bathroom without putting a towel on the outside of the toilet seat so that it was soft on his bum.”
The school provided the mother with a material data sheet on ED Everyday Disinfectant, the cleaner used on the toilet seat. That sheet said that the product was “harmful in contact with skin.” The mother is now filing a $250,000 lawsuit against the school district.
“It’d be a shame if it happened to anybody’s child,” the mother said.
The school (top) and the burns suffered by the boy
The school district sent home a wonderfully euphemistic note a day later saying that some students had experienced “varying levels of skin reaction” after using the bathroom. Yeah, and one might say that the Jim Gilmore campaign experienced “varying levels of support” in the GOP primaries.
“The safety of our students and staff is our top priority and appropriate measures were taken,” said a communications officer with the Waterloo Region District School Board, who runs Stewart Avenue Public School. “This is now a matter that is before the courts and we are unable to comment further.”
H/T Mad World News
Does your child’s school use ED Everyday Disinfectant? Did this story make you want to ask? Let us know how you feel on our Facebook page or Twitter.
What would you do if this happened to your child? Scroll down to comment below.