Looking back now, the response might have been a touch excessive.
A report by the Tucson Fire Department revealed that a fire that eventually consumed a mobile home near Fort Lowell Road in Tuscon, Arizona, may have been started by a propane torch used to deal with a spider problem.
The elderly woman who owned the home was carried out by her son with the assistance of her neighbors and had only minor injuries, according to KPTV.
Advertisement – story continues below
Firefighters indicated the trailer may have erupted into flames after a propane torch was used to burn spiders and eliminate spider webs that were under the mobile home.
Officials also noted that open-flame burning is banned in Tucson, KNXV reported.
The fire broke out at about 9:30 p.m., and was brought under control about 11 minutes after firefighters arrived on the scene.
News of the incident eventually caught the notice of Twitter:
However, this isn’t the first — or likely the last — odd use of propane throughout the years.
In 2016, a Massachusetts man was convicted of malicious destruction of property after he tried to burn down his ex-girlfriend’s house using a propane tank and a bag of Cheetos.
Investigators said Shemroy Williams, 31, tried to use the cheese puffs to accelerate the fire.
It’s a far cry from trying to kill a spider, but it should go without saying that — no matter the reason — propane should always be used with caution and for good reason.
What do you think? Scroll down to comment below.