Share
Commentary

The US Government May Have Been Shut Down, But Mattis Was Still Dropping Bombs

Share

Some government agencies might have been shut down over the weekend, but not the American military.

U.S. Central Command announced that 145 to 150 Islamic State group terrorists were killed in a small area they controlled in Syria on Saturday.

The strikes, part of Operation Inherent Resolve, were the result of intelligence gathering that confirmed an Islamic State group headquarters and command and control center near As Shafah, Syria, according to a Central Command news release.

Syrian Democratic Forces on the ground assisted in observing targets prior to the strikes.

Fox News reported that F-18 fighter jets from the USS Theodore Roosevelt carried out the strike.

Trending:
Pelosi Melts Down Over SCOTUS Decision, Accuses Republicans of Coordinated Nationwide Plot

The target for the strike was a headquarters with a “heavy concentration” of jihadist fighters, who were preparing to leave the area, the release stated.

The Islamic State group has lost 98 percent of its territory, and most of that has occurred since President Donald Trump took office, Fox reported last month. The remaining 2 percent held by the terror group includes the area where the strike took place.

Top U.S. military officials have said they believe the head of the Islamic State group, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, is hiding in the area, though he had been previously rumored to be dead.

Maj. Gen. James Jarrard, commanding general of Special Operations Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve said the fight is far from over.

Do you support these strikes?

“Our SDF partners are still making daily progress and sacrifices, and together we are still finding, targeting and killing ISIS terrorists intent on keeping their extremist hold on the region,” he said.

“We cannot take our focus off our mission, and we must not lose our momentum in taking these terrorists off the battlefield and preventing them from resurfacing somewhere else,” he added.

The terror group continues to “mass large numbers in its attempt to retain a stronghold in Syria,” the statement said.

However, that may not be for long if U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis has anything to do with it.

Last year, Mattis promised to annihilate the terror group, and it looks like he is following through on that promise.

Related:
DeSantis Points to the Real Problem as His Former Opponent Is Hit with a 21-Count Felony Indictment

Fox reported that, according to the intelligence, fewer than 1,000 islamic State group fighters remain in Iraq and Syria, down from 45,000 fighters two years ago.

It is good to see that the government shutdown did not stop our military from taking out terrorists.

Share this story on Facebook and Twitter str spread the news about how we’re winning when it comes to Islamic State group terrorists.

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →



We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Tags:
, , ,
Share

Conversation