Sometimes the most innocent items can be the most dangerous. This is especially scary when it involves your children.
When Dzevada Becirovic bought a Nuby insulated light-up cup, she thought it would be a fun sippy cup for her 1-year-old son, Kaysen, to use.
“I was actually thinking about going and buying another one. He loved them. They light up, they definitely look kid-friendly,” she told KTVB. “They’ve got a cute design on there.”
Becirovic took great care of the cup, never putting it in the dishwasher or microwave, she said.
One day, Becirovic poured milk into the sippy cup, not thinking much about it as her son waited on the couch.
As she filled the cup, it exploded in her face, according to her Facebook post. She had to make a trip to the hospital for injuries to her face, hands and lungs.
“I was just standing right here, I grabbed milk out of the fridge — just regular milk, I went and poured it. Turned around to put the milk back, I turned around to grab the lid and I was about to put it on it and it blew,” Becirovic told KTVB.
The exploding cup threw milk and insulated-battery gunk on her, burning her face and hands and stinging her lungs.
“There’s the bottom of it where the battery blew around here. It’s a lithium ion battery and it blew up through here,” Becirovic told KTVB.
“It was super scary. I immediately couldn’t breathe – my lungs were on fire, my throat, I couldn’t stop coughing,” she added.
Becirovic was able to have a friend watch her kids as she was rushed to the hospital for emergency medical treatment.
“It did a lot of damage and what that would have done in his hands, I don’t even want to imagine. I really don’t,” Becirovic told KTVB. “I’m scared to death of something like this happening again with another product or another toy or happening to somebody else.”
Luv n’care, Ltd., the parent company of the Nuby cup, said they are investigating the matter.
According to a company attorney, they have requested that Becirovic send them the cup so they can determine exactly what happened.
The company told KTVB that it does inspect and test all the cups before they are sold and the cup that Becirovic had was proved safe if “properly used.”
Becirovic wants more done. She wants the company to remove the cups from all stores and is sending a warning out to all parents.
“Obviously they missed something,” Becirovic said. “I just want to get the word out there, in case somebody has it, to just throw it away and get it away from your kids’ reach before it hurts them.”
Luv’n car told KTVG that Becirovic’s complaint about the cup is the first that they have received. It did say that it will get to the bottom of the issue and correct any possible issues with the battery.
Becirovic isn’t going to send the sippy cup in just yet as she is seeking legal advice and third-party inspection. Since the accident, Becirovic has had breathing treatments at St. Luke’s and is taking medication to relax her throat.
“We do our best to protect our kids every day but something like that is just a freak accident or it could be something that’s preventable by not having such a powerful battery in a little kid’s cup,” Becirovic said.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.