Parents do everything they can to make sure their babies are safe. They swaddle them, check ingredient lists religiously, make sure to babyproof their surroundings, and keep a close eye on them at all times.
But sometimes, the extra safety precautions are actually what create a hazard in the first place.
When Amanda DeAngelis got out of her car, she noticed a smokey smell. When she took a closer look at the car seat in her back seat, she realized what had happened.
DeAngelis uses a mirror so she can see her baby as she drives. That way, if anything goes wrong, she can pull over.
The mirror caught the sunlight, reflecting it, and started to burn a hole in her baby’s car seat. Thankfully, she got her daughter out of the vehicle before she noticed the hazard.
Stunned by the smoke coming off of her baby’s seat, DeAngelis filmed the incident and posted it on Facebook to warn other parents. It exploded from there and already has over nine million views.
According to Shannon Bullock, director of Safe Kids North Carolina, the mirror is to blame. She says that her organization recommends parents don’t use unnecessary accessories in the car.
“They could go 40, 50 miles an hour in the vehicle,” Bullock told NBC Charlotte. “We know that parents want to look back at their children (and) make sure that they’re OK, but it’s not safe.”
The manufacturer of the car seat agreed and responded in a statement to NBC Charlotte. “Direct sunlight reflecting off shiny objects in a car can be dangerous,” they said.
Even though this is a startling discovery, thankfully DeAngelis’ baby was not harmed in the incident, and she now knows to keep an eye out to prevent this from happening again.
“The federal government requires all car seats and the interior of vehicles to meet flame-retardant standards. In this incident, the flame retardants in the car seat did their job.
“As always, parents and caregivers should exercise caution when using any after-market car seat accessories, including back seat mirrors.
“All back seat mirrors should be installed correctly, securely attached and mounted to the vehicle head restraint.
“Incorrect installation can result in injury if the mirror becomes a projectile in a crash,” the statement concluded.
Parents should take note of this story, and remember that mirrors can be a hazard in these instances.
It’s natural to want to be as safe as possible, but sometimes there’s such a thing as too many precautions, or precautions that can also become hazards in and of themselves.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.