Having fun with friends is a part of growing up, but far too often, accidents happen during these playful times.
During the party, she got up on the bunk bed in her friend’s bedroom and started to have a little fun playing with her friend. Another kid has apparently turned on the ceiling fan, and that’s when the trouble began.
The ceiling fan was spinning soft enough for Taya not to hear or pay attention to, and it suddenly hit her in the face.
Elizabeth Louise, the girl’s mother, called an ambulance in panic. They were rushed to a nearby hospital, where Taya turned to her mother and said, “I don’t want to look ugly.”
Taya needed plastic surgery for the massive wound, which caused nerve damage, according to Louise’s post. Taya also is unable to smile and has lost feeling on that side of her face.
“I’m heartbroken for her knowing she will have a massive scar across her face,” Louise said, according to Kidspot. “Hopefully (this) can be fixed but we won’t know if it is for a couple months.”
The Facebook post has gone viral, showing the dangerous consequences of ceiling fans and bunk beds. Louise’s post has been shared over 1,000 times and has more than 100 comments with thousands of reactions as of Thursday morning.
Many of the Facebook commenters were in complete shock that Taya was so severely injured by the fan, and others expressed that they hoped the little girl would recover soon.
“Poor thing that’s horrible, Liz hope she recovers well with minimal scarring sending my love,” one mother wrote to Elizabeth.
“My heart breaks seeing this!!!” another commenter wrote.
Louise thanked everyone for their comments and kind words, and shared that Taya is doing much better.
“My little princess is out of surgery and feeling good,” she wrote in an updated comment. “She is one brave girl definitely braver than mummy. All she wanted to do when she woke was to colour in and eat pancakes.”
Despite her daughter doing better, Louise has a plea for parents: “Please please don’t have bunk beds near a ceiling fan.”
We hope you heed the advice of this dear mother so another child doesn’t have to go through the misery and pain of such an accident. Get well soon, Taya!
Editor’s Note: Some publications have reported that the little girl’s name is Tanya, however, in the original post her mom calls her Taya.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.