The more stories that come out about Native American activist Nathan Phillips’ weekend in Washington, D.C., the more Americans have reason to doubt what they see in the mainstream media.
A day after his widely publicized encounter with a group of Catholic high school students from Kentucky, who were in town for the March for Life, Phillips reportedly tried to disrupt a Catholic Mass with his infamous drum, according to the Catholic News Agency.
It was reportedly so bad security had to lock him out.
The incident took place at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on Saturday when Phillips and about 20 fellow activists tried to enter the church during its Vigil Mass, the news agency reported, citing a guard who was on duty.
However, a spokesman for the shrine would not confirm or deny that activists had tried to disrupt the Mass. She said a group “did assemble on Saturday evening outside the shrine” and that they “left without incident.”
According to the guard, however, the activists used drums and chants to try to disrupt the service, which matches the method Phillips used during his confrontation with the high school students.
Security had to intervene to keep the disruptive drum-banging protesters out.
“There were about 20 people trying to get in, we had to lock the doors and everything,” the guard told CNA.
It gets worse — the March for Life draws Catholics from around the country to the nation’s capital every year. Many of those Catholics attend Mass at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
“And this all happened on our biggest event of the year. I hope we never see it again,” the security guard told CNA.
In a video published Saturday that seemed to be taken from outside the church, Phillips recited his list of demands.
“We demand that the students of Covington Catholic High School be reprimanded, not just by school officials, but by their upcoming universities,” Phillips demanded.
Standing here today with Nathan Phillips. Most of you know he was greatly disrespected by students from #convingtoncatholic This man is a Native American Elderly Veteran who fought on these lands. This is absolutely disgusting and unexceptionable. #defendtheroots #iwontbackdown pic.twitter.com/7BG2sixf4t
— Anna Nunez (@AnnaMaria_611) January 20, 2019
He also attacked the church.
“We demand the Catholic Church hold themselves responsible for 500-plus years of genocide that our indigenous peoples have endured and still persist through…,” Phillips slowly read from his script.
“We demand that the Catholic church revoke the papal bulls related to the Doctrine of Discovery, which lay the foundation for for religious prejudice and dehumanization of indigenous people.”
Supporters greeted the statement with loud whooping, but they could have saved their breath. This was just a publicity stunt — the kind of publicity stunt Phillips has been trying to pull for years.
And this publicity stunt was particularly disgusting.
Think about how the media would react if the roles were reversed in the kind of situation the guard described to CNA.
If a group of 20 Christians interrupted a Native American ceremony, there would be widespread outrage.
It’s absolutely reprehensible to disrupt a religious service, but this story will go unnoticed by the establishment media.
And the media that’s supported him so far will likely continue to do so.
Which is all the more reason for Americans to doubt they are getting the full story.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.