Lifestyle & Human Interest

Toddler Girl Helped Keep Baby Brother Alive 3 Days After Parents' Death


A preschool-aged girl has been hailed a hero for keeping herself and her infant brother alive for over three days after her parents’ death inside their Chatsworth, California, home.

According to KTTV, 46-year-old David Kooros Parsa fatally shot his wife, Mihoko Koike, 38, before taking his own life sometime in the early morning hours on April 18.

The couple’s children remained inside the home alone for over three days and were found alive on April 21. The little girl is reported to be around 3 or 4 years old, and her infant brother is approximately 2 or 3 months old.

“Our little angel was able to keep herself and her brother alive,” Los Angeles Police Capt. Maureen Ryan said. “The baby is a miracle baby and the little girl is a hero. She’s an absolute hero.”

The children’s grandfather, Parsa’s father, became concerned about the family and called police on the morning of April 21, according to The Epoch Times.

Chris Christie Launches Presidential Campaign - And He Already Has Humiliating News

Police did a welfare check that morning but did not find anything unusual.

Parsa’s father went to the house later that day with a key and a handful of neighbors, who discovered the children’s parents dead upstairs.

The preschooler was in shock, but alive.

“She obviously was in bad condition because she reeked really bad of urine,” neighbor Olivia Robinson told KTLA. “And she had more of a blank stare on her face. She was very, very quiet.”

James Robinson, Olivia’s husband, recalled the little girl’s explanation of where her parents were.

“I think she may have said they were sleeping, but she told me that they’re upstairs and they’re hurt,” James Robinson said. “Right there, we figured it’s just not good.”

Woman Dies After Being Hit by UK Royal Escort

Neighbor Tony Medina brought the little girl to his house to eat while waiting for police to arrive.

“She heard her mom crying,” Medina told CBS Los Angeles. “And then what really was kind of heart-wrenching was when she said she saw ‘mommy was broken.’”

Both children are in the custody of the L.A. County Department of Children’s Family Services, police said. Details surrounding the murder-suicide are still under investigation.

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →

We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

, , ,
A graduate of Grand Canyon University, Kim Davis has been writing for The Western Journal since 2015, focusing on lifestyle stories.
Kim Davis began writing for The Western Journal in 2015. Her primary topics cover family, faith, and women. She has experience as a copy editor for the online publication Thoughtful Women. Kim worked as an arts administrator for The Phoenix Symphony, writing music education curriculum and leading community engagement programs throughout the region. She holds a degree in music education from Grand Canyon University with a minor in eating tacos.
Page, Arizona
Bachelor of Science in Music Education
Phoenix, Arizona
Languages Spoken
Topics of Expertise
Lifestyle & Human Interest