Share
News

Dog Starts Fire Stealing Pancake Off Stove, Takes a Nap on Couch

Share

We’ve been warned over and over by animal trainers, concerned mothers, and professional chefs. And now, the Southwick Massachusetts Fire Department is even getting in on the conversation.

What’s the summarized version? That dogs don’t give a dang about fire safety — but they care very much about easily-accessible food.

So let’s say, for example, you’ve got some leftover pancakes that you leave on the counter near the stove. Let’s also imagine that you leave your faithful golden retriever in the room, unattended.

Any guesses on what would likely happen next? Two points if you said that your furry friend would probably make a beeline for the flapjacks.

But a video recently posted on social media by Southwick firefighting personnel illustrates another worrisome wrinkle.

Trending:
Biggest COVID Vaccine Study Ever Finds Concerning Links

Because the thing is, most dogs won’t pay attention to anything but the food.



So if you watch the home surveillance footage in question, you’ll see a crafty canine creeping into the kitchen unsupervised.

You’ll see him jump up to reach the stove top, knock down the targeted plate of pancakes — and inadvertently turn on the cooking gas.

Then, you’ll see this sneaky pooch do what any other pet might do in the same situation: chow down.

Unfortunately, the dog and his other golden retriever companion remain utterly oblivious to the small fire that’s started in the background.

Eventually, the room begins to fill with smoke and the fire alarm starts chirping repeatedly. Confused, the two canine culprits basically stand there looking around while the lone flame continues to blaze away.

Then, once again, they do what most other animals with a nice full tummy might do. Specifically, they hop on the couch and settle in for a comfy nap.

It’s a good thing the homeowner’s alarm system was wired to alert emergency responders. Video footage eventually shows two uniformed men entering the hazy room.

Related:
Air Force Officer Makes History at 2024 Miss America Pageant: 'The Sky Is Not the Limit'


One heads straight to the stove, and extinguishes the fire. The other greets the dogs, who seem pretty unfazed considering the circumstances.

So now let’s repeat this important mantra all together: Pet owners should never leave food on or near the stove, especially when pets are unsupervised.

This situation had a happy and even semi-amusing outcome — but fire is certainly nothing to laugh at.

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →



We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Tags:
, ,
Share
Mary Bittel is a professional writer, marketer, and published author. She's produced content for several respected media organizations, and dozens of major industries including education, animal welfare, healthcare, finance, non-profit, technology, and entertainment. As an accomplished musician, she's also worked in a therapeutic teaching capacity with developmentally disabled children.
Mary Bittel is a professional writer, marketer, and published author. She's produced content for several respected media organizations, and dozens of major industries including education, animal welfare, healthcare, finance, non-profit, technology, and entertainment. As an accomplished musician, she's also worked in a therapeutic teaching capacity with developmentally disabled children. Additionally, she's an avid animal lover who has spent much of her life rehabilitating abused rescue canines.
Books Written
"The Hidden Treasury: Stories of Wonders and Wanderings"
Location
Illinois
Languages Spoken
English, French
Topics of Expertise
Music, Marketing, Nutrition, Fitness, Pet Care/Behavior, Cooking, Entertainment




Conversation