Share
News

Breaking: Judge Slaps Down Karmelo Anthony's Bid for New Trial

Share

Convicted killer Karmelo Anthony lost his effort to have a new trial.

Retired District Judge Michael Chitty issued an order Saturday denying Anthony’s request.

In his order, Chitty said he reviewed the motion for a new trial, the court record, evidence and arguments, briefs and relevant case law, his order said, according to Fox News. Chitty heard two days of testimony on the request for a new trial.

Chitty considered  allegations that courtroom access rules violated Anthony’s Sixth Amendment right to a public trial and that the judge’s instructions to the jury limited the jury’s ability to consider Anthony’s claim that he acted in self-defense.

Chitty was assigned to the case after Judge John Roach, who oversaw the trial, was removed, according to the New York Post.

Roach had expressed his support for the verdict in the initial trial.

“Yeah, they did, whatever they say, they got it right,” Roach said.

In a statement, Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis said, “We respect, and expected, the court’s decision denying the motion for a new trial. The jury’s guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process. Every defendant has the right to appeal, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the Metcalf family in the painful wake of last week’s hearing,” according to ABC News.

Choose The Western Journal as your preferred source on Google and never miss reporting that defends truth, protects freedom, and advances Western civilization

Advertise with The Western Journal and reach millions of highly engaged readers, while supporting our work. Advertise Today.

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →



We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Jack Davis is a freelance writer who joined The Western Journal in July 2015 and chronicled the campaign that saw President Donald Trump elected. Since then, he has written extensively for The Western Journal on the Trump administration as well as foreign policy and military issues.
Jack Davis is a freelance writer who joined The Western Journal in July 2015 and chronicled the campaign that saw President Donald Trump elected. Since then, he has written extensively for The Western Journal on the Trump administration as well as foreign policy and military issues.
Jack can be reached at jackwritings1@gmail.com.
Location
New York City
Languages Spoken
English
Topics of Expertise
Politics, Foreign Policy, Military & Defense Issues




Share
Tags:
, , ,

Conversation