Lifestyle

Father Shares Son's Final Words Before 11-Year-Old Died of Apparent Allergic Reaction

Food allergies appear to be pretty cut and dry to most people. If you have a reaction to particular types of foods, you simply shouldn’t eat them.

You should also avoid meals that may contain such foods or may have come in contact with them. Pretty simple to understand, right?

Hold on a minute, though. As the sad case of an 11-year-old boy from New Jersey shows, it isn’t that simple.

According to the New York Post, Camron Jean-Pierre had a long-standing fish allergy, something his parents were well aware of. But something bizarre happened on New Year’s Day.

He and his father Steven Jean-Pierre had traveled to Brooklyn, New York. They’d made the trip to visit Camron’s grandmother.

Trending:
Tucker Drops FBI Bombshell: Jan. 6 Organizers 'Were Almost Certainly Working for the FBI'

But they entered the apartment at the worst time possible: His grandmother was in the process of cooking cod.

You might not think that would make any difference for a person who is allergic. But Camron’s breathing immediately seized up.

Believe it or not, allergy sufferers often have reactions when breathing in fumes from certain foods. A 2009 study by Daniel A. Ramirez, Jr. and Sami L. Bahna in Clinical and Molecular Allergy confirmed as much.

“Though not widely recognized, food hypersensitivity by inhalation can cause major morbidity in affected individuals,” the authors wrote. “The exposure is usually more obvious and often substantial in occupational environments but frequently occurs in non-occupational settings, such as homes, schools, restaurants, grocery stores, and commercial flights.”

“The exposure can be trivial, as in mere smelling or being in the vicinity of the food. The clinical manifestations can vary from a benign respiratory or cutaneous reaction to a systemic one that can be life-threatening.”

Sadly, Camron’s reaction turned out to be the latter. The boy soon lost consciousness.

Jean-Pierre administered medication to his son via a portable nebulizer. However, it didn’t help.

Related:
Democratic Congressman Caught Wearing Just Underwear and a T-Shirt During Hearing

“I (tried) to give him the machine,” he said. “That usually works.

“But it didn’t take, and then I just called the ambulance.” Unable to find a pulse, he began to administer CPR to Camron.

That brought him back for a moment, long enough for his son to say something very important to his dad: “Daddy, I love you.”

First responders soon arrived, and they rushed Steven to a nearby hospital, where he passed away.

“My son was the best,” Jean-Pierre said. “He made everyone around him happy.

“He made his dad happy. That was my prince, man.”

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →



loading

We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

A graduate of Wheaton College with a degree in literature, Loren also adores language. He has served as assistant editor for Plugged In magazine and copy editor for Wildlife Photographic magazine.
A graduate of Wheaton College with a degree in literature, Loren also adores language. He has served as assistant editor for Plugged In magazine and copy editor for Wildlife Photographic magazine. Most days find him crafting copy for corporate and small-business clients, but he also occasionally indulges in creative writing. His short fiction has appeared in a number of anthologies and magazines. Loren currently lives in south Florida with his wife and three children.
Education
Wheaton College
Location
Florida
Languages Spoken
English
Topics of Expertise
Entertainment, Faith, Travel




loading

Conversation