The liberal media has thrown all caution to the wind and gone all-in against President Donald Trump and his administration with regard to the “zero tolerance” border enforcement policy that has been implemented over the past couple months.
That policy, which mandates that all adults who enter the country illegally be prosecuted for the crime — misdemeanor for first-time offense, felony for illegal re-entry — had the result of temporarily separating children from their parents for the duration of the legal process, similar to how American citizens are separated from their own children when prosecuted for any other crimes, large and small.
Liberals could not abide by the separation of illegal immigrant families, however, and used incredible levels of hyperbole, gross rhetoric and disturbing vitriol to incessantly attack Trump and his administration as nothing short of heartless Nazi tyrants for following decades-old laws and court precedence.
Unfortunately for the media, a recent poll conducted and released by CBS News showed that the all-out assault on Trump over the temporary separation of families at the border may have backfired on them, and doesn’t represent the views of a majority of Americans, as they would have everyone believe.
One question on the poll specifically asked what should be done with families of illegal immigrants who entered the country illegally; 63 percent of respondents believed they should be detained and deported in some form or fashion, with only 21 percent suggesting the families should be released into the country, as had previously occurred under prior administrations. Sixteen percent were unsure.
A rather large plurality of 48 percent thought that illegal immigrant families should be kept together after being apprehended for entering the country illegally so that they could be immediately deported back to their home country as a unit.
Only 4 percent of respondents thought adults and children should be detained in separate facilities, while 11 percent said the families should be detained together as a family while the adults are prosecuted for the crime of illegal entry.
Also revealed in the poll was the fact that Trump’s proposed wall to secure the southern border is actually more popular than not having a wall at all, as the liberal media and Democrats would prefer.
Indeed, 51 percent of respondents said the wall was a “good idea” — 32 percent say it is a good idea that will eventually be completed, 19 percent said it’s a good idea even if it can’t be fully completed — compared to 48 percent who reject the border wall as a “bad idea.”
Furthermore, the issue of families being separated at the border isn’t quite the electoral game-changer that the liberal media may have thought it would be in the lead-up to the 2018 midterm elections.
The issue has compelled some 28 percent of voters to consider themselves more likely to vote for a Democrat in November, while 19 percent said they would be more likely to vote for a Republican.
However, 53 percent of voters said the issue would have no bearing whatsoever on how they are thinking of voting in the midterms.
As for Trump’s executive action to halt the separation of families who illegally crossed the border — 77 percent believed it was a problem that needed to be addressed — 31 percent said he ended a problem he had created, 27 percent said he ended a problem created by previous administrations and 41 percent believed he hadn’t solved the problem at all.
In slightly related news from that poll, it also appears that Trump is gaining in support among the general populace, as only 43 percent of respondents labeled themselves as “strongly against” Trump, with the remaining 57 percent broken down into 21 percent saying they are strong in their support of the president, “period,” another 20 percent offering conditional support as long as he continues to do well and a further 16 percent who consider themselves current opponents who could be swayed to support Trump in the future if he does a good job.
It would appear that the liberal media’s incessant attacks on Trump over the separation of families at the border has failed miserably in making a dent in the president’s support, and quite possibly had the reverse effect of garnering him more support as the issue was blown out of proportion and deliberately misconstrued.
The media would be wise to back off of the immigration issue going forward — lest they ironically work to bolster Trump’s support. But they aren’t always the smartest folks, so they will likely continue to hammer away with blatant “fake news” and misleading reports that will only serve to hurt Democrats and help Trump in November.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.