Parler Share
News

Joy Behar Defends Media Reaction to Covington Video by Admitting 'We're Desperate To Get Trump Out of Office'

Parler Share

“The View” co-host Joy Behar said on Tuesday’s program that the reason the media and others rushed to judgment regarding the Covington Catholic High School students is “because we’re desperate to get Trump out of office.”

Fellow host Whoopi Goldberg introduced the segment with a video clip from the incident showing Covington student Nick Sandmann standing face-to-face with Native American Nathan Phillips. In a second clip, a group of African Americans calling themselves the Black Hebrew Israelites are seen mocking the students, some of whom were wearing “Make America Great Again” hats.

Not seen in the footage aired on “The View” was that the Black Israelites were throwing racial slurs at the Kentucky high schoolers.

“Many people admitted they made snap judgments before these other facts came in. But is it that we just instantly say that’s what it is based on what we see in that moment and then have to walk stuff back when it turns out we’re wrong?” Goldberg asked. “Why is that? Why do we keep making the same mistake?”



Trending:
Republican Congressional Candidate Flips the Script on Debate Moderator When Asked 'Is Joe Biden President?'

“Because we’re desperate to get Trump out of office. That’s why,” Behar said.

Goldberg began to follow up, “What does that have to do…”

Behar interjected, “I think that’s the reason. I think the press jumps the gun a lot because we just — we have so much circumstantial evidence against this guy that we basically are hoping that Cohen has the goods and what have you and so it’s wishful thinking.”

She was referring to last week’s Buzzfeed story reporting that then-presidential candidate Donald Trump had directed his personal attorney Michael Cohen to lie to Congress about the proposed Trump Tower Moscow project.

Do you think journalists should face legal action if they fail to retract false stories about Covington?

In a rare move, the special counsel’s office refuted the piece, describing it as “not accurate.”

Goldberg encouraged Behar to stay on the subject of the Covington students.

In an interview that aired on NBC’s “Today” on Wednesday, host Savannah Guthrie asked Sandmann if he felt he owed Phillips an apology. Sandmann is seen standing face-to-face with the Native American in video and pictures from the incident.

The original reporting about the standoff by many media outlets blamed the students for the confrontation, based on a small video clip.

However, when video giving fuller context became public, it revealed that Phillips had approached the students, as they were being jeered by the Black Hebrew Israelites.

Related:
The View Makes Worse Fool of Biden as They Try to Defend His Gaffes, 'OK Guys... He Had a Moment'

“As far as standing there, I had every right to do so,” Sandmann told Guthrie.

“My position is that I was not disrespectful to Mr. Phillips. I respect him. I’d like to talk to him,” the 16-year-old added. “I mean, in hindsight, I wish we could’ve walked away and avoided the whole thing. But I can’t say that I’m sorry for listening to him and standing there.”

An attorney representing students and alumni from Covington High announced on Wednesday that his clients are giving journalists and celebrities 48 hours to retract false statements made about them or face legal action.

“Everybody now is on 48-hour notice so by Friday, everybody needs to retract and correct any false statements they have issued about these kids,” Los Angeles-based attorney Robert Barnes said on Fox News’ “Fox & Friends.

“That includes any major member of the media,” he added. “That includes any major celebrity. That includes anybody with a substantial social media platform.”

Fox News reported that journalists and celebrities who have made retractions so far include CNN’s S.E. Cupp and Jake Tapper, “The View’s” Meghan McCain, National Review editor-in-chief Rich Lowry and actress Jamie Lee Curtis.

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →



We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Tags:
, , , , ,
Parler Share
Randy DeSoto has written more than 2,000 articles for The Western Journal since he joined the company in 2015. He is a graduate of West Point and Regent University School of Law. He is the author of the book "We Hold These Truths" and screenwriter of the political documentary "I Want Your Money."
Randy DeSoto is the senior staff writer for The Western Journal. He wrote and was the assistant producer of the documentary film "I Want Your Money" about the perils of Big Government, comparing the presidencies of Ronald Reagan and Barack Obama. Randy is the author of the book "We Hold These Truths," which addresses how leaders have appealed to beliefs found in the Declaration of Independence at defining moments in our nation's history. He has been published in several political sites and newspapers.

Randy graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point with a BS in political science and Regent University School of Law with a juris doctorate.
Birthplace
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Nationality
American
Honors/Awards
Graduated dean's list from West Point
Education
United States Military Academy at West Point, Regent University School of Law
Books Written
We Hold These Truths
Professional Memberships
Virginia and Pennsylvania state bars
Location
Phoenix, Arizona
Languages Spoken
English
Topics of Expertise
Politics, Entertainment, Faith




Conversation