Lifestyle & Human Interest

Family in Disbelief When Man Wakes Up Right Before His Funeral After Doctors Pronounced Him Dead


Emotions ran high on July 1 for the friends and family of 20-year-old Mohammad Furqan when a funeral quickly became a celebration of life.

The young man, who had been pronounced dead early that same day, was surprisingly very much alive.

The Times of India reports that Furqan had been involved in a June 21 accident on Sultapur Road in the northern Indian city of Lucknow. He was admitted to a private hospital where he stayed in a coma until July 1, when the doctors pronounced him dead.

“We had paid Rs 7 lakh [$10,000 USD] to the private hospital earlier and when we told them that we had run out of money, they had declared Furqan dead on Monday,” Furqan’s brother, Mohammad Irfan told the Hindustan Times.

Friends and family members of Furqan had gathered at his residence in the C Block of the city and were preparing Last Rites and the burial of their beloved friend and family member.

Costco Customers Enraged After Chain Offers New Deal Americans Can't Have, Rivaling $1.50 Hot Dog

The Times of India reports that when the Ambulance carrying Furqan’s body arrived at the apartment, sobs could be heard.

But something shocking was about to happen.

As Furqan was being taken out of the ambulance, his body began to move and the supposedly dead man began to show signs of life.

“When we took the body home, a family member noticed that he was breathing,” Irfan said. “Others standing there also saw limb movement. We then rushed him to RML hospital immediately where doctors put him on oxygen support.”

The Independent reports that the family was traumatized by the whole situation, describing the whole ordeal as a “roller coaster of emotions.”

There are still many questions in the minds of Furqan’s family that raise concern about the ethical conduct of the doctors and hospital who had been caring for the young man.

“We have taken cognizance of the incident and the matter will be thoroughly probed,” Dr. Narendra Agarwal, the chief medical officer for Lucknow, told The Times of India.

The Many Ways Fathers Teach Their Children About Values

While his story has certainly been traumatizing, Furqan is being cared for and has a shot at life. Dr. Ashok Nirala, who is treating him at The Ram Manohar Lohia hospital reports that Furqan is “in critical condition but definitely not brain dead.”

“He has pulse, blood pressure and his reflexes are working,” the doctor said. “He has been put on ventilator support.”

The Independent reports that this close call has raised questions about the country’s healthcare system, and “prompted the launch of an investigation in the state of Uttar Pradesh.”

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →

We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

, ,