NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) — The Latest on what is thought to be the first serial killer case in Cyprus (all times local):
A Cyprus police spokesman says investigators hunting for bodies dumped by a suspected serial killer pulled a suitcase containing decomposing human remains from a toxic late.
Andreas Angelides told The Associated Press that the remains discovered Sunday will be examined by a coroner to determine the victim’s identity.
The remains of a woman were in a suitcase found at the bottom of a man-made lake a week ago.
An army captain who has confessed to killing seven foreign women and girls told police he placed the bodies of three of the victims — a Filipino woman and a Romanian mother and daughter — inside suitcases which he then dumped in the lake.
The lake was part of an abandoned mine where the bodies of two women were found last month.
A Cyprus police investigator says a man who has confessed to killing seven foreign women and girls on the island is being investigated on additional charges of raping a foreign woman he had photographed as a model.
Criminal Investigation Department Chief Neophytos Shailos told a Nicosia court Sunday that the suspect had raped the woman in his car on the outskirts of Nicosia in early 2017 when he picked her up to supposedly give her the photographs.
Shailos said the 35-year-old army captain had videoed the rape on his cellphone.
The woman, a 19-year-old foreign citizen, had called the suspect’s wife at the time and told her what had happened.
The court extended the suspect’s detention for another eight days.
The Western Journal has not reviewed this Associated Press story prior to publication. Therefore, it may contain editorial bias or may in some other way not meet our normal editorial standards. It is provided to our readers as a service from The Western Journal.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.