We all have them. I have one in my kitchen and one in each bathroom.
They add warmth and pleasant scents to my home. I had no idea such a common household item could be so deadly.
I’m talking about scented candles. According to Cashins and Associates, these odor-covering jars of food-scented goodness are responsible for an estimated “20,000 premature deaths in America each year.”
One mom from New Jersey discovered just how dangerous scented candles can be.
Now Meghan Budden is warning others not to make the same mistake she did.
We can all relate to wanting a bit of serenity in our homes, and Budden was no different.
Little did she know burning a couple of scented candles could lead to something she wasn’t ready for.
When she discovered black specks inside her own nose, as well as inside the nose of her infant son, Jimmy, Budden did what any mom would do. She cleaned the dots with a cotton swab — and thank goodness she did!
Following a closer look, the New Jersey mom discovered a warning label on the bottom of the candles she’d burned for six hours the previous day.
For those of you out there who, like me, burn candles for long periods of time, you might want to read on.
Apparently, scented candles aren’t meant to be burned for longer than a three-hour period of time.
Their soot can put us at risk for a number of problems and diseases.
“Breathing the tiny particles can cause coronary heart disease, asthma, bronchitis, and many other respiratory illnesses,” reported Cashins and Associates.
“Research has also shown that many premature deaths are directly related to soot in the environment.”
Anne Steinemann, an environmental pollutants expert at the University of Melbourne, noted the soot could also cause “damage to the brain, lung and central nervous system, as well as cause developmental difficulties.”
I, for one, am thankful to Budden for speaking out. Her experience serves as a reminder to each of us: always read the warning label.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.