Four Men Arrested After Horrific Acid Attack on 3-Year-Old

Combined Shape

Four men have been arrested in England in connection with an apparent acid attack on Saturday, targeting a 3-year-old boy.

Authorities took a 39-year-old suspect into custody on Sunday. The attack took place in at a Home Bargain discount store in Worcester, in western England.

Three other men, ages 22, 25, and 26, were arrested in London on Monday, about 130 miles to the southeast, Sky News reported.

Based on a review of closed circuit footage of the attack, authorities believe it was deliberate.

Trending:
Former Texas Mayoral Candidate Indicted on 109 Felony Voter Fraud Charges

“At this time we are treating this as a deliberate attack on a 3-year-old boy,” West Mercia Police Chief Superintendent Mark Travis said in a statement, according to Fox News.

“The incident will rightly shock the local community and I would like to reassure local people that we are carrying out a thorough investigation to identify those responsible.”

The boy was in a stroller when the attack took place about 2:15 p.m. Saturday.

Police stated that the boy was treated for serious burns to the arms and face at a local hospital, but was later released.

Should anyone who commits an acid attack go to prison for life?

Sky News did not report a possible motive for the attack, though Travis said it was not believed to be race-related.

Authorities were not able to say if the child will suffer any long-term effects from his injuries.

Robin Walker, a member of Parliament representing Worcester, described the targeting of the young boy as “horrific.”

“The shock will be universal. Anyone conducting such an attack on a small child is just appalling,” he told the BBC.

Worcester City Council leader Marc Bayliss characterized the strike as “absolutely pure evil.”

Related:
Husky Alerts 'Stunned' Owner to What He Thought Was Just a Blanket, Helps Perform Incredible Rescue

CNN reported that the number of acid attacks in London reached an all-time high of 465 last year, up from 395 in 2016.

According to data the network obtained from the London Metropolitan Police, more than 75 percent of suspected attackers and about 60 percent of victims were between the ages of 10 and 29.

Additionally, 71 percent of the attackers and 72 percent of victims were male.

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →






We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Tags:
,
Randy DeSoto has written more than 1,000 articles for The Western Journal since he joined the company in 2015. He is a graduate of West Point and Regent University School of Law. He is the author of the book "We Hold These Truths" and screenwriter of the political documentary "I Want Your Money."
Randy DeSoto is the senior staff writer for The Western Journal. He wrote and was the assistant producer of the documentary film "I Want Your Money" about the perils of Big Government, comparing the presidencies of Ronald Reagan and Barack Obama. Randy is the author of the book "We Hold These Truths," which addresses how leaders have appealed to beliefs found in the Declaration of Independence at defining moments in our nation's history. He has been published in several political sites and newspapers.

Randy graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point with a BS in political science and Regent University School of Law with a juris doctorate.
Birthplace
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Nationality
American
Honors/Awards
Graduated dean's list from West Point
Education
United States Military Academy at West Point, Regent University School of Law
Books Written
We Hold These Truths
Professional Memberships
Virginia and Pennsylvania state bars
Location
Phoenix, Arizona
Languages Spoken
English
Topics of Expertise
Politics, Entertainment, Faith




Conversation