Heartbroken Owner Warns Others About Rope Toys After Beloved Golden Retriever Dies


As a child, I grew up on a farm and had a goat for a pet. One of the first things I learned about caprine critters is that they really will eat pretty much anything.

Grass. Horse feed. Paper. Veterinary gauze (don’t ask). They really will nosh on whatever catches their fancy.

None of that “food” really ended up harming my goat. However, a dog owner recently posted to a Vizsla Dog Lovers Facebook group warning about the dangers of something her Golden Retriever ate.

Indria Tuckler wrote, “I purchased several rope toy balls for my dogs at Home Goods. They looked extremely sturdy and impossible to destroy.

'Bang, Bang. They Dead': The Last Person Parents Would Expect Just Threatened to Shoot Up a School

“However, I found them in pieces the same day. I quickly threw them away, hoping none of the dogs swallowed the pieces.”

But according to VT, that was exactly what happened. Her 14-month-old Golden Retriever named Sam somehow got a hold of a section of the rope and gulped it right down.

Tuckler explained that Sam’s symptoms involved vomiting, lack of appetite, diarrhea and drinking a lot of water. In other words, it presented just like a number of other, mostly harmless canine ailments.

In Sam’s case, though, the end result proved anything but benign. “The ball unraveled and tore several holes in her intestines as she tried to pass it,” Tuckler explained.

“They removed three feet of rope that was entangled in her intestines. They also removed 14 inches of perforated intestines.

“The damage from the rope was so extensive that she passed away two days later. We did not even have the option of having another surgery.”

Tuckler created the post hoping to warn other dog owners about the dangers of the toys. And she isn’t the only one sounding the alarm.

On its blog, Village Vet of Urbana highlighted the problems with rope toys. “If your dog loves to disembowel stuffed animals and decimate Frisbees, he isn’t just ripping these toys apart — he’s eating a portion of them,” the veterinary clinic explained.

Man Makes Shocking Admission Just Before Being Put to Death

“Swallowing strands of rope is much more dangerous than eating chunks of rubber, plastic, or cotton stuffing. Vets describe these strands as ‘linear foreign bodies,’ which are the most harmful objects an animal can swallow.”

Why do such strands pose a great risk than other objects? Well, the natural movement of a dog’s bowels can cause the fiber to cinch tight, pulling on — and sometimes tearing — the intestinal wall.

Tuckler hopes that other pups can avoid Sam’s untimely demise. She stated, “I believe there is power in numbers, and if we can share Sam’s story, maybe we can save a dog’s life.”

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →

We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

, ,
A graduate of Wheaton College with a degree in literature, Loren also adores language. He has served as assistant editor for Plugged In magazine and copy editor for Wildlife Photographic magazine.
A graduate of Wheaton College with a degree in literature, Loren also adores language. He has served as assistant editor for Plugged In magazine and copy editor for Wildlife Photographic magazine. Most days find him crafting copy for corporate and small-business clients, but he also occasionally indulges in creative writing. His short fiction has appeared in a number of anthologies and magazines. Loren currently lives in south Florida with his wife and three children.
Wheaton College
Languages Spoken
Topics of Expertise
Entertainment, Faith, Travel


The Western Journal is pleased to bring back comments to our articles! Due to threatened de-monetization by Big Tech, we had temporarily removed comments, but we have now implemented a solution to bring back the conversation that Big Tech doesn't want you to have. If you have any problems using the new commenting platform, please contact customer support at Welcome back!