Investigators told The Associated Press that the intercepted packages were similar to the pipe bombs that were sent this week to CNN’s offices in New York as well as the homes of former President Barack Obama in Washington and former President Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton in Chappaqua, New York.
Police found the package addressed to De Niro at the Manhattan where his production company is headquartered, according to CNN. The packaged address to Biden was found at a postal facility in New Castle, Delaware, according to NBC.
De Niro has been an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump. At the Tony Awards in June, the actor delivered an expletive-ridden tirade against the president. The AP noted that De Niro has also apologized to Canadians for the president’s “idiotic behavior.”
The first pipe bomb this week was discovered on Monday at the New York home of liberal billionaire and activist George Soros.
So far, authorities have recovered suspicious packages in New York, Delaware, Florida, California, and Washington, D.C., targeting other prominent Democrat figures including Rep. Maxine Waters, former Attorney General Eric Holder, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, and former CIA Director John Brennan.
The pipe bomb recovered at CNN was about six inches long and filled with powder and broken glass. It was made with a PVC pipe and is seen covered in black tape.
In addition, the package contained a powder that authorities later described as “harmless.”
This is the suspicious package received this morning at the Time Warner Center, which houses the CNN New York bureau.
— CNN (@CNN) October 24, 2018
Investigators are also looking into surveillance footage from CNN where they believe a courier dropped off the potentially explosive package.
Authorities investigating the packages told the AP that all packages were similar. They have been “manila envelopes with bubble-wrap interior bearing six stamps and the return address of Florida Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz.”
The packaged addressed to Holder was addressed incorrectly and was returned to the offices of Schultz.
President Donald Trump as well as other prominent GOP figures have come out and denounced the attacks.
On Wednesday Vice President Mike Pence condemned the attacks saying, “We condemn the attempted attacks against fmr Pres Obama, the Clintons, @CNN & others. These cowardly actions are despicable & have no place in this Country. Grateful for swift response of @SecretService, @FBI & local law enforcement. Those responsible will be brought to justice.”
President Trump retweeted the statement on Wednesday.
I agree wholeheartedly! https://t.co/ndzu0A30vU
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 24, 2018
“I agree wholeheartedly,” Trump wrote.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.