News

Search Party Finds Items Believed to Be from Missing Submarine

Combined Shape

An Indonesian government official on Saturday declared that a 44-year-old submarine that has been out of contact since Wednesday is sunk in the Bali Sea.

Search teams have recovered debris officials believe came from the sub, which had 53 people aboard, according to Reuters.

Adm. Yudo Margono, Indonesia’s naval chief of staff, said searchers have found pieces from Muslim prayer rugs, a bottle of grease used to lubricate the periscope, sponges used for clearing condensation and other items, according to The New York Times.

Military chief Hadi Tjahjanto said the presence of an oil slick and the debris were proof the KRI Nanggala 402 was lost, according to The Associated Press.

“With the authentic evidence we found believed to be from the submarine, we have now moved from the ‘sub miss’ phase to ‘sub sunk,’” Margono said at a news conference.

Trending:
CNN's Don Lemon Fails to Get Guest to Take 'Bait,' Instead Gets Contradicted on Slavery

Officials said they will continue to seek evidence of how the sub met its end.

“If it’s an explosion, it will be in pieces. The cracks happened gradually in some parts when it went down from 300 meters to 400 meters to 500 meters … If there was an explosion, it would be heard by the sonar,” Margono said.

Even if the hull was still intact, officials had estimated that the crew’s oxygen supply would run out on Saturday.

The going theory is that some type of electrical failure struck the submarine, making it unable to surface.

Is this what happens with old military equipment?

As a result, officials believe the sub sank to a depth of between 600 and 700 meters, or 2,000 to 2,300 feet. The sub was able to safely withstand pressure at only about 200 meters, or 655 feet, below the surface.

“We are still carrying out the search,” Margono said, according to Reuters. “The depth of the sea we have detected is at 850 metres (2,790 feet), which is very tricky and presents many difficulties.”

“Now it’ll be up to the investigators to establish the chronology of events and determine the cause. At the same time, plans would have been made to assess the feasibility of retrieving the sub at such extreme depth,” Collin Koh, a research fellow at the Institute of Defense and Strategic Studies, said.

“It’s technically possible to do it, though I believe Indonesia will have to engage foreign assistance in this.”

Related:
Missing Indonesian Submarine Found on Ocean Floor


“It’s very heartbreaking,” Frans Wuwung, a retired seafarer who trained the crew of the submarine, said, according to The Times. “I am devastated.”

On the day of its disappearance, the Nanggala participated in a torpedo drill but missed its target, according to First Adm. Julius Widjojono of the Indonesian Navy.

The submarine was ordered to try again, which it was in the process of doing when it sank, Widjojono said.

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →






We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Tags:
, , ,
Jack Davis is a freelance writer who joined The Western Journal in July 2015 and chronicled the campaign that saw President Donald Trump elected. Since then, he has written extensively for The Western Journal on the Trump administration as well as foreign policy and military issues.
Jack Davis is a freelance writer who joined The Western Journal in July 2015 and chronicled the campaign that saw President Donald Trump elected. Since then, he has written extensively for The Western Journal on the Trump administration as well as foreign policy and military issues.
Jack can be reached at jackwritings1@gmail.com.
Location
New York City
Languages Spoken
English
Topics of Expertise
Politics, Foreign Policy, Military & Defense Issues




Conversation