Share
Lifestyle

Actress Anna Faris Thanks Firefighters After Family Nearly Succumbed to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Share

Thanksgiving is a time for loved ones and food, and all the shenanigans, joy and trials that attend such events are experienced by many families every year. Actress Anna Faris’ family is no different.

Starting the day before Thanksgiving, Faris started sharing a play-by-play of her family’s holiday, warning her followers that their family had rented a house so they could all spend time together.

What followed was an all-too-relatable series of posts.

Trending:
Pelosi Melts Down Over SCOTUS Decision, Accuses Republicans of Coordinated Nationwide Plot

“1153am,” she posted on Nov. 27. “Hiding in the bathroom for just a minute. Choice between onion chopping, walk with family, or pretending my stomach is upset. My dad also wants to show me videos on YouTube.”

“1113am,” she posted on Thanksgiving day. “Could not find giblets or jiblets and my hand is very cold (but I did santitize). Now in bathroom hiding. Also my family is reading these tweets and I’m getting a touch of grief. Dear family on the day of thanks-I love you all. Just a little more from the upstairs bath.”

There were eight tweets in total that circulated around mundane familial griefs and coping strategies for the general holiday chaos, but then radio silence from a little after 11:00 a.m. on Thursday to 6:00 p.m. Friday.

Most people would be spending that time enjoying the fruits of their labors and stuffing themselves on leftovers, but the family of 13 experienced a terrifying scare.

At some point early on, two people had started feeling sick. They initially wrote it off as altitude sickness, but it quickly became clear that it was more serious when they were taken to the hospital and discovered they’d been poisoned.

No, it wasn’t some jealous family member spiking the wine with a violent concoction — it was carbon monoxide.

Apparently, the rental house in Lake Tahoe had no carbon monoxide detectors, and whether because of the snow blocking vents or some other cause, the levels in the house were shockingly high.

According to what the North Tahoe Fire Department told KOLO-TV the levels in the house — with doors and windows open — were reading at 55 ppm, with some lower areas reaching as high as 426 ppm. The normal and safe reading for carbon monoxide? Just 9 ppm.

It can be difficult to distinguish between carbon monoxide poisoning and other ailments, as many of the symptoms are shared. Some side effects include dizziness, disorientation, difficulty breathing and headaches.

Related:
John Cena Breaks Celebrity Make-a-Wish Record: 'It's Very Special'

“I’m not quite sure how to express gratitude to the north Lake Tahoe fire department — we were saved from carbon monoxide — it’s a stupidly dramatic story but I’m feeling very fortunate,” Faris shared on Twitter.

The fire department also shared her post, adding that this could have easily turned into a very sad story had the family not found out they were being suffocated.



“So #thankful for a happy ending to this #carbonmonoxide #co incident,” North Tahoe Fire tweeted. “Never assume you are safe, check your alarms whenever you #Travel!”

“We are so thankful to report that this holiday disaster was averted,” Mike Schwartz, the fire chief, revealed in an additional statement, according to KOLO-TV. “Situational awareness is so important. Whether you are at home or traveling, it is important ensure that smoke and CO alarms are in working order anywhere you stay. It’s not a bad idea to consider bringing your own alarm when you travel, just to be safe.”

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →



We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Tags:
, , , ,
Share
Amanda holds an MA in Rhetoric and TESOL from Cal Poly Pomona. After teaching composition and logic for several years, she's strayed into writing full-time and especially enjoys animal-related topics.
As of January 2019, Amanda has written over 1,000 stories for The Western Journal but doesn't really know how. Graduating from California State Polytechnic University with a MA in Rhetoric/Composition and TESOL, she wrote her thesis about metacognitive development and the skill transfer between reading and writing in freshman students.
She has a slew of interests that keep her busy, including trying out new recipes, enjoying nature, discussing ridiculous topics, reading, drawing, people watching, developing curriculum, and writing bios. Sometimes she has red hair, sometimes she has brown hair, sometimes she's had teal hair.
With a book on productive communication strategies in the works, Amanda is also writing and illustrating some children's books with her husband, Edward.
Location
Austin, Texas
Languages Spoken
English und ein bißchen Deutsch
Topics of Expertise
Faith, Animals, Cooking




Conversation