Lifestyle

Mom Posts Warning After Toy Catches Fire Leaving 2-Year-Old in ER with 3rd Degree Burns

Combined Shape

Just like the old cliché says, I still remember the incident as though it were yesterday. I recall the sensations and smells, the sights and the sound of my crying.

I couldn’t have been older than 5 or 6, and I was in the kitchen brandishing a Pound Puppies stuffed toy. My mom had stepped away, and for some reason, I wanted to warn my plush pretend pet about the dangers of the range.

So I turned on a burner and plopped the fake puppy up next to it murmuring admonishments. But I must’ve gotten the toy a bit too close, because suddenly its paw began to scorch.

Fortunately, that incident ended with nothing more than a ruined plaything and a stern talking to. Two-year-old Rosie-Faye Yeadon, from Pudsey, Leeds, England, had a much more horrific end to a very similar incident.

Trending:
CDC Quietly Changes Major Part of 'How COVID-19 Spreads' Page, Adds Advice That Millions Didn't Get When Trump Was in Office

According to The Yorkshire Post, Rosie-Faye’s mother, 29-year-old Boe Mitchell, had lit a scented candle after family had dropped by. Then she stepped out of the room — only to come running back as screams erupted.

Though she couldn’t have been out for more than a couple of minutes, Mitchell came back in to see Rosie-Faye’s hands smoking. It turned out that the little girl’s twin sister, Poppy-Mai Yeadon, had flung a stuffed Minnie Mouse doll on top of the candle and Rosie-Faye had tried to rescue it.

“I turned my back for two minutes and ran back to the room when I heard the girls screaming.

“Rosie’s hands were burned, and all I could see was smoke something from her hands, I picked her up and ran to the kitchen to run her hands under cold water,” Mitchell said. “She was put on morphine when we got to the hospital to help control the pain because it was so bad.”

The pain didn’t end after the initial treatment. See, Rosie-Faye needed to have those bandages changed regularly.

When she would go into the hospital for such changing, the pain would grow so severe that she would need more painkillers. “It upset me seeing Rosie in so much pain,” Mitchell said.

“It was traumatic for all of us. … [I]t’s lucky other children didn’t get hurt it and it could have been far worse.”

Indeed, the consequences stretched beyond Rosie-Faye’s physical injuries. The Sun reported that while her brother, 9-year-old Ayden Mitchell-Staveley, didn’t suffer any burns himself, he experienced some mental damage.

Related:
11-Year-Old Girl Hears Mom Screaming, Helps Deliver Baby Brother on Bathroom Floor

He needed to go to a therapist in order to assuage his guilt over not being there for his little sister in her time of need.

Mitchell herself knows about that guilt. “I never have candles on around the house when the kids are in, but I just wasn’t thinking,” she said.

“It was an absolutely awful and traumatic experience,” she said. “I will never forget it.”

All wasn’t bad news, though. In a Facebook post, she said, “[Rosie] is doing fantastic and all has healed well. …

“I really can express how much this past few months has changed me as a person. I feel honored to have some amazing friends and friends of friends who have helped me massively with raising awareness of candles.”

“I think everyone knows you shouldn’t have candles around kids but things happen unexpectedly, I feel like raising awareness to make parents think twice is worthwhile,” she said to The Yorkshire Post.

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →






We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Tags:
, , , , ,
Combined Shape
A graduate of Wheaton College with a degree in literature, Loren also adores language. He has served as assistant editor for Plugged In magazine and copy editor for Wildlife Photographic magazine.
A graduate of Wheaton College with a degree in literature, Loren also adores language. He has served as assistant editor for Plugged In magazine and copy editor for Wildlife Photographic magazine. Most days find him crafting copy for corporate and small-business clients, but he also occasionally indulges in creative writing. His short fiction has appeared in a number of anthologies and magazines. Loren currently lives in south Florida with his wife and three children.
Education
Wheaton College
Location
Florida
Languages Spoken
English
Topics of Expertise
Entertainment, Faith, Travel




Conversation