Share
News

Teen Boy Collapses after Getting off Bus & Dies. Bite of Friend's Food Killed Him

Share

James Turnbull, 15, was a dedicated soccer player on his town’s team, the Sandiacre Town Football Club.

With dreams of a promising future career in the sport, James had his whole life ahead of him.

But after a night out with his friends, things took a deadly turn. James and his friends had gone out to dinner at a Chinese restaurant, and he had sampled a chicken ball from one of his friends.

Little did he know, the food had been contaminated with nuts, something the teen had been severely allergic to all his life.



Trending:
Ultimate Disrespect: Did Biden Doze Off During Memorial Day Address?

After the meal, James and his friends were getting off the bus on the way home when he began having an allergic reaction.

James went into anaphylactic shock and was raced to the hospital, but tragically died less than an hour later.

Before the incident, the teen had suffered from two previous allergic reactions, but was able to be treated.

James’ family and soccer teammates are absolutely devastated by the loss.

“He was one of those lads that was so popular. He was a charter and attracted people to him,” the chairman of the soccer club said.



“Everyone is devastated. It was out of blue. You just think about that young life and how fragile it was.”

His parents said that in the past, James would have been able to taste the nuts in his food, but this time, he could not.

“He was beautiful, gentle and funny lad who I could never tell off because he would make me laugh,” his mom Jenny said.

Related:
Watch: Travis Kelce's Sister-in-Law Gets Into Tense Face-to-Face Spat with Fan After Refusing to Take Pic

“He was my pride and joy. There are no words. I was very proud of him,” his dad Mark said.

“He loved his football and his music and really enjoyed being out with his mates.”

A JustGiving page has been created in James’ honor in hopes to raise money to dedicate a soccer field at a local school in his name.

This tragic story can serve as a reminder to us all that when it comes to allergies, you can’t be too careful.



Sharing food with friends with allergies or eating foods with potentially unknown ingredients can have life-altering consequences.

For those with allergies, carrying self-administered epinephrine like the Epi-Pen at all times is vital. In some cases, two doses may even be required, so carrying two Epi-Pens is a good idea. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Submit your story here, and subscribe to our best uplifting stories here.

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →



We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Share
Liz was a senior story editor for The Western Journal.
Liz was a senior story editor for The Western Journal.
Location
Arizona
Languages Spoken
English, Spanish
Topics of Expertise
Health, Entertainment, Faith




Conversation