Share
News

9-Year-Old Shares Gummy Candies at School. Staff Soon Realizes They're Laced with Drugs

Share

It comes as no surprise to hear that children are drawn to candy. In fact, adults and children alike often adopt a “finders keepers” approach to the tasty confections.

When delicious candy is mixed with drugs, however, a serious situation can occur. Adults who fail to secure drug-laced candy are truly flirting with danger.

That’s the situation one family found themselves in when one girl found some candy belonging to her parents. What she didn’t realize, however, is that this was no ordinary candy.



Unlike ordinary candy, this candy was actually edible marijuana.

Trending:
Hunter Biden May Have Just Ratted Out Joe, Acknowledges Identity of the 'Big Guy' in $5M China Deal

As medical marijuana becomes more and more common, many find it easiest to consume in edible form, such as gummies and lollipops.

Now, a student in Albuquerque, New Mexico, has become a prime example of what can happen when a child finds such drug-laced candy.

Recently, a 9-year-old girl came across some edibles belonging to her parents, who used it for medical reasons.

Not realizing this candy was actually laced with marijuana, the young girl took it to school.

There, she shared the candy with a few of her friends, all of whom were unaware of the true nature of the candy.

It wasn’t long before the fifth graders began experiencing significant changes in behavior. According to Global News, “Some students felt sick, dizzy and began to giggle.”

They were taken to the nurse, who initially suspected food poisoning. Once the box of gummies was found, however, administration realized something much different had happened.

Paramedics were called to check the students. Thankfully, the students did not need further treatment and were soon released to their parents, who took them home.



Related:
Air Force Officer Makes History at 2024 Miss America Pageant: 'The Sky Is Not the Limit'

For her part, the student who brought the gummies to school did not know they had marijuana in them. She feels upset at having ingested them, as she knows not to take drugs.

Children are not the only ones at risk when edible marijuana is left unguarded. Pets who find marijuana-laced candy can also fall ill after eating it.

Parents should familiarize themselves with the various forms of edible marijuana in case they ever encounter it.

And, like any medicine, edible marijuana needs to be safeguarded so that it does not fall into the wrong hands.

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →



We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Tags:
,
Share

Conversation