Share
News

Baby's Skin Starts Peeling Off after Mom Places Car Seat on Hot Stove

Share

A small town in Ohio was shaken by the news that a 10-month-old baby sustained third-degree burns to her body on Jan. 24.

While the heartbreaking situation appears to be accidental, police are investigating the circumstances nonetheless.

The village of Addyston, Ohio, has a small population of about 1,000 people. When police arrived at the burn victim’s house, they recognized the hysterical young mother’s face.

“(The mother is) pretty young — in her 20’s I believe — and most of us know her down here,” said Addyston Police Chief Dorian LaCourse. “Addyston is small enough that everyone knows each other.”

According to KRON-TV, the baby girl had been in her car seat with a blanket. To keep her daughter away from the large, leaping family dog, the mother reportedly placed the car seat on the smooth, glass stove top in her kitchen.

Trending:
Federal Court Gives Texas Huge Win to Help Fight Illegal Immigration

Unfortunately, it only takes seconds for tragedy to strike. According to police, it appeared the baby’s blanket caught fire and quickly spread.

“This baby’s 10 months old, she’s burnt bad — please hurry,” said a man’s voice on the dispatcher recording. “She’s got skin coming off and everything.”

LaCourse explained that the mother said she didn’t realize the stove was on. “People go around and make mistakes every day, but some of them are serious,” LaCourse said sadly.



The baby was immediately flown to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and then transferred to Shriners Hospital for Children.

Her identity has not been released, but she was reported to be in critical yet stable condition two days after the incident.

LaCourse said that he and other officers would describe the mother as an attentive and caring parent.

Provided the investigation results align with the mother’s assertion — it was all a terrible accident — LaCourse said he would recommend the mother not be prosecuted.

Related:
Air Force Officer Makes History at 2024 Miss America Pageant: 'The Sky Is Not the Limit'

“We just don’t know what they were thinking about that day,” a somber LaCourse expressed. “They may have been under some kind of stress.”

LaCourse added that he’s never seen an accident like this before, and he hopes to never see one again. Prayers for this family during such a crushing, guilt-ridden time.

If there’s one thing to be learned from this sad story, it’s that accidents like this can happen very quickly.

Please be aware of this possible scenario, and prevent this tragedy from happening to someone you love.

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →



We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Tags:
,
Share
A graduate of Grand Canyon University, Kim Davis has been writing for The Western Journal since 2015, focusing on lifestyle stories.
Kim Davis began writing for The Western Journal in 2015. Her primary topics cover family, faith, and women. She has experience as a copy editor for the online publication Thoughtful Women. Kim worked as an arts administrator for The Phoenix Symphony, writing music education curriculum and leading community engagement programs throughout the region. She holds a degree in music education from Grand Canyon University with a minor in eating tacos.
Birthplace
Page, Arizona
Education
Bachelor of Science in Music Education
Location
Phoenix, Arizona
Languages Spoken
English
Topics of Expertise
Lifestyle & Human Interest




Conversation