In a bid to reduce overcrowding in state prisons, California voters in 2016 approved a ballot measure known as Proposition 57 which allows for the early parole release of supposedly non-violent offenders.
The measure passed, in part, based on a statement from Democrat Gov. Jerry Brown which promised that individuals convicted of non-violent sexual offenses would be excluded from consideration for early release, according to The Daily Caller.
But that may be about to change, and over 10,000 sex offenders could soon be released to the streets in the near future thanks to the ruling of a superior court judge in Sacramento.
That means individuals convicted of offenses such as incest, pimping minors into prostitution and possession of child pornography may soon be free to walk among the public again.
The Los Angeles Times reported that Sacramento Superior Court Judge Allen Sumner issued a preliminary order on Friday to California state prison officials which ordered them to rewrite their regulations stemming from Prop. 57.
The state argued that language within Prop. 57 gave officials broad discretion to include or exclude any class of offenders from consideration for early parole, but Judge Sumner disagreed and thought the state had gone too far in specifically excluding non-violent sex offenders.
“If the voters had intended to exclude all registered sex offenders from early parole consideration under Proposition 57, they presumably would have said so,” Sumner stated.
He stated further that the Corrections Department could only exclude violent sex offenders from early parole, and ordered the department to more accurately define what constituted a violent sexual offense.
On top of that, he also stated that sexual offenders who had already served time for their crimes — even violent ones — but were in prison on an unrelated non-violent offense must be included in the early parole consideration process.
Of course, the ruling was heralded by a Sacramento attorney who is president of California Reform Sex Offender Laws, Janice Belluci, who estimated the change could allow for the release of roughly half of the state’s more than 20,000 sex offenders serving time in prison.
She argued that anyone convicted of a sex crime who was not included on the state’s narrow list of 23 violent offenses — things like murder, kidnapping and rape — must be considered eligible for early parole like other non-violent convicts.
“Until they figure something else out, they have to consider anybody convicted of a nonviolent offense even if it was a sex offense,” Bellucci told reporters outside the courtroom. “We believe we’ve won a battle, but the war continues.”
It is worth noting that in addition to those convicted of incest, pimping a minor or possessing child pornography, the state will now be required to consider early release for those individuals convicted of offenses like indecent exposure, intimately touching an unlawfully restrained person or even raping a drugged or unconscious victim, which is now inconceivably no longer considered a “violent” crime by the state of California.
Meanwhile, America News Central reported that while the courts and prisons argue over the definitions of violent and non-violent offenses and early parole for sex offenders, the state is veritably falling apart under Democrat leadership.
Indeed, thanks to Democrat policies, the public school system is terrible, the number of homeless individuals is skyrocketing, as are taxes while businesses and residents who’ve had enough are fleeing the state as fast as they can. Now throw 10,000 convicted sex offenders released early into the mix, and it is wonder anyone with any sense is left in the state at all anymore.
Share this story on Facebook to let everyone know about this Sacramento judge who just ordered California prisons to consider early release for upward of 10,000 convicted non-violent sexual offenders.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.