Share

House Democrats' Attempt To Override Trump's Veto Fails

Share

The good news for President Donald Trump continued on Tuesday as the House of Representatives failed to override his first veto, which he issued in response to Democrats’ efforts to block his southern border emergency declaration.

The Hill reported the vote to override the president was 248 to 181, falling short of the two-thirds majority required (287).

The vote was mostly along party lines, but 14 GOP lawmakers sided with the Democrats in seeking to thwart the president’s declaration.

Republican critics who voted to override contended that Trump was overstepping his constitutional authority by reprogramming funds beyond what the Congress voted to appropriate for border barrier construction.

“We all agree with the need for border security so I want to be clear on that, but we need to separate out the need for border security with how we get there and there are constitutional concerns here,” GOP Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania told CNN ahead of the vote Tuesday, according to The Hill.

Trending:
Coroner Arrives on Scene as Police Appear to Tell Brian Laundrie's Parents They 'Might Have Found Something'

House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler of New York described Trump’s move as “unlawful.”

“I’m convinced that the president’s actions are unlawful and deeply irresponsible,” he said on the House floor.

“A core foundation of our system of government and of democracies across the world going back hundreds of years is that the executive cannot unilaterally spend taxpayer money without the legislature’s consent.”

Besides the $1.375 billion Congress voted to authorize for barrier funding in February, the White House plans to redirect $3.6 billion from a military construction fund, $2.5 billion from a Department of Defense drug interdiction program and $600 million from the Treasury Department from a drug forfeiture fund.

The national emergency is specifically being used to tap the $3.6 billion from the military construction fund.

On Monday night, acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan announced that he had authorized the U.S Army Corps of Engineers to spend up to $1 billion to support Trump’s request “to build 57 miles of 18-foot-high pedestrian fencing, constructing and improving roads, and installing lighting within the Yuma and El Paso Sectors of the border,” Military Times reported.

Trump’s emergency declaration is also facing a challenge in the courts.

Last month, 16 states filed a lawsuit in federal court in the Northern District of California (part of the 9th Circuit) to block Trump’s emergency declaration, just as he predicted would happen the day he announced his decision.

Trump expressed confidence at the time that his administration will prevail in the courts, just as it did regarding his travel ban from certain countries.

Related:
Psaki Smugly Corrects Reporter: Biden Did Go to the Border - 13 Years Ago

“We will have a national emergency and we will then be sued, and they will sue us in the 9th Circuit, even though it shouldn’t be there, and we will possibly get a bad ruling and then we’ll get another bad ruling and then we’ll end up in the Supreme Court, and hopefully we’ll get a fair shake, and we’ll win in the Supreme Court,” he said.

Trump has cited the flow of illegal drugs, gang-related criminal activity and the surging numbers of migrants seeking to cross into the U.S. illegally as justifications for declaring an emergency at the southern border.

Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen recently stated her department is on track to interdict 100,000 migrants crossing the U.S. border with Mexico in March.

“The situation at our southern border has gone from a crisis to a national emergency to a near-systemwide meltdown,” she said last week at Auburn University’s Center for Cyber and Homeland Security.

“I say this with the utmost sincerity and urgency: The system is breaking.”

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →



loading

We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Tags:
, , , , ,
Share
Randy DeSoto has written more than 2,000 articles for The Western Journal since he joined the company in 2015. He is a graduate of West Point and Regent University School of Law. He is the author of the book "We Hold These Truths" and screenwriter of the political documentary "I Want Your Money."
Randy DeSoto is the senior staff writer for The Western Journal. He wrote and was the assistant producer of the documentary film "I Want Your Money" about the perils of Big Government, comparing the presidencies of Ronald Reagan and Barack Obama. Randy is the author of the book "We Hold These Truths," which addresses how leaders have appealed to beliefs found in the Declaration of Independence at defining moments in our nation's history. He has been published in several political sites and newspapers.

Randy graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point with a BS in political science and Regent University School of Law with a juris doctorate.
Birthplace
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Nationality
American
Honors/Awards
Graduated dean's list from West Point
Education
United States Military Academy at West Point, Regent University School of Law
Books Written
We Hold These Truths
Professional Memberships
Virginia and Pennsylvania state bars
Location
Phoenix, Arizona
Languages Spoken
English
Topics of Expertise
Politics, Entertainment, Faith




loading

Conversation