Illegals Beware: Mattis Begins Rolling Out Welcome Party for Migrant Caravan
President Donald Trump meant it when he said he wasn’t going to let the Central American migrant caravan across the United States southern border, and Secretary of Defense James Mattis is making sure the president’s promise is kept.
Mattis told reporters Sunday in the Czech Republic that barricades and active duty troops are headed to the U.S. border with Mexico in order to stop the over 7,000 migrants who are in Mexico traveling north from entering the United States, according to The Associated Press.
“The additional troops will provide logistical and other support to the Border Patrol, and will bolster the efforts of the approximately 2,000 National Guard forces already there. The new forces are expected to provide logistical assistance such as air support and equipment, including vehicles and tents,” the AP reported.
Mattis told reporters that details of how many forces will be deployed should be firmed up by Sunday night.
Meanwhile, on “Fox News Sunday,” Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said the migrant caravan “is not getting in.”
“My general message to this caravan is: Do not come. You will not be allowed in. … There is a right way to immigrate to the United States and this is not it,” Nielsen said according to Fox News.
Much passionate debate has occurred as to why the caravan was formed in the first place.
It has been widely reported the migrants are trying to get to the U.S. to seek asylum from violence and poverty, but Vice President Pence said last week that wasn’t the case.
In a Fox News interview on Friday, Pence said the migrant caravan is being funded by outside groups.
“What the president of Honduras told me is that the caravan was organized by leftist organizations, political activists within Honduras, and he said it was being funded by outside groups, and even from Venezuela,” Pence told Fox News’ Peter Doocy. “So the American people, I think, see through this – they understand this is not a spontaneous caravan of vulnerable people.
“But it was organized by human traffickers and leftist groups that, are in effect, taking vulnerable people — many elderly, families, children — and marching them north without regard to their safety to make a political point and challenge the sovereignty and the territory of the United States.”
Trump and his administration have had their eye on the border situation for a while and possibly have been anticipating a need for reinforcements there.
The Daily Caller reported in August that Mattis had extended the deployment of National Guard troops for another year at the southern border.
“Mattis granted a 12-month extension of the current deployment order, which authorizes up to 4,000 guardsmen to support Customs and Border Protection agents until Sept. 30, which is the end of the current fiscal year,” The Daily Caller reported.
“The border deployment, dubbed ‘Operation Guardian Support,’ kicked off April 13 in response to President Donald Trump’s call to use the military to guard against rising illegal immigration. A joint operation with the Department of Homeland Security, the mission aims to provide surveillance and logistical support to border agents, freeing them up to interdict drug and human smuggling.”
If there has ever been a better example of why we need a wall at the southern border, I don’t know what it is.
You’ve just got to ask yourself how much of the human trafficking, drug smuggling and manufactured caravans would we eliminate if it were more difficult to get into the U.S.? And how many fewer troops would be necessary to protect our border if we had a wall?
It just makes sense to build the wall.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.