Lifestyle

This Dog's Tragic Death Should Serve As A Warning This Fourth of July for Other Pet Owners

Combined Shape

The Fourth of July is approaching, which should mean a carefree day of cookouts, family reunions and fireworks in celebration of our country’s freedom is on the schedule.

However, Independence Day also presents heightened dangers we should be aware of to ensure the day is as enjoyable as possible.

One grieving man just issued a sobering reminder to keep a careful eye on your furry friends this holiday.

On June 26, James Copp posted touching photos of his dog Zoe on Facebook. Copp announced to his friends and family that Zoe had died unexpectedly that day.

Trending:
CDC Quietly Changes Major Part of 'How COVID-19 Spreads' Page, Adds Advice That Millions Didn't Get When Trump Was in Office

After noticing that Zoe was puking and acting strangely, Copp said he took her to the vet.

“The doctors ran test and contacted the poison control center,” Copp wrote. “They told us there’s a chemical that was causing it And they tried to pump her stomach but the poison was to much and she died at 2:50 today.”

In a follow-up comment, Copp explained that Zoe had licked firework ash off grass in their backyard after the family used sparklers.

“Don’t let you animals ingest burnt or unburnt fire works,” the Facebook post reads. “It’s really poisons to animals and there are absolutely no warnings on the box about it. The vets even looked it up to see if there was warning on the box.”

“[S]he was only a year and a half old. We will never forget you and we miss you R.i.P Zoe.”

According to the Pet Poison Hotline, fireworks are dangerous to pets “in several ways.”

“First, the loud noise of fireworks (during July 4th holidays) can result in severe stress, fear, and anxiety,” the Pet Poison Hotline website reads.

“Secondly, when unused fireworks are ingested, they are poisonous to pets. Fireworks contain hazardous chemicals such as potassium nitrate, which is an oxidizing agent.”

Related:
Boy Whose Foot Had to Be Amputated Forms Bond with Puppy Born Without Paw: 'She's Like Me'

Fireworks can also contain metals such as sulfur and charcoal, which can be dangerous for pets. When cats or dogs swallow these ingredients, they can exhibit some of the same symptoms Zoe did: “vomiting, a painful abdomen, and bloody diarrhea.”

“Pets ingesting large amounts can suffer tremors or seizures, along with acute kidney failure, bone marrow changes, shallow breathing and jaundice, which is yellowing of the skin,” the website adds.

In addition, lit fireworks can cause burns to a pet’s mouth and skin, as well as damage to their eyes.

This Fourth of July, err on the side of caution and keep your beloved pets secure and away from fireworks. Even unlit, the pyrotechnics can be extremely dangerous.

We wish you and your pets a safe Independence Day!

Truth and Accuracy

Submit a Correction →






We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.

Tags:
, , ,
Combined Shape
Noel Marquis is a journalist and animal-lover hailing from the Midwest. After an internship with Disney following her college graduation, she pursued a career writing content that makes readers smile. Coffee, books and superhero movies are some of her favorite things.




Conversation